The Who, What, When, Where, & Why Behind Hiring on Strategic Level Support
If you’ve ever worked in the corporate world, you may have heard of the term: Director of Operations, but if not, this may be a brand new term. Keep reading to learn more about how it is defined in the online space.
A Director of Operations is a strategic partner in your business.
They manage the day-to-day operations and activities of a company by overseeing several departments, such as marketing, admin, and so on. They support the CEO in deciding how to move the company forward.
A Director of Operations (DOO for short) can support you with:
- Financials and Business Growth
- Product/Service Development and Innovation
- Operational Efficiencies
- Scaling (team growth)
- Customer/Client Experience
- Personal and Professional Growth
Think of these as the mini-departments in your business. Not only do they encompass all legs of your company, but they also serve as a guide to your priorities and give you a clear picture of the areas you need to be focusing your time and energy on to grow your business.
How does having a Director of Operations work?
Bringing on a Director of Operations to your team means that you will have a true partner. Someone who is just as invested in your business as you are and can support you in organizing the right pieces into the right places at the right moment.
As a CEO, you are the true visionary. You bring amazing ideas and goals you’d like to achieve and your DOO helps you organize, streamline, and execute them in a way that makes sense for your business and your lifestyle.
You can work with a Director of Operations in a few different ways:
- On retainer – this means they are your permanent support person, offering a certain number of support hours per month and acting as the point person for your team. (sometimes on a full-time salary or hired as an independent contractor)
- Project-based – Many Directors of Operations support business owners on a project basis. Ready to hire? A DOO can do that. Need a launch project plan drafted and managed? Get in touch with a DOO. Ready to streamline your entire backend of business? You guessed it.. a DOO is who you need!
- Consultancy – Depending on the Director of Operations, you can gain expert insights and learn how to move your business forward on your own with consulting packages or the licensed Strategic Mapping Model™ where you’ll set goals and map out your next 6-12 months. Learn more about how I utilize Strategic Mapping™ in my Business Planning VIP Week here!
How do you know when you’re ready to hire a DOO?
While this can depend on your business structure, goals, and type… you may be ready for a DOO now!
Typically, you know you’re ready for a Director of Operations in your business when you’re ready to hand off some of those day-to-day operations and strategic implementation planning. You have the vision and you love being involved in the creative parts of your business but you feel yourself push back when it comes to team management, planning out projects, and making sure things are streamlined and getting done efficiently.
If you know there’s a better system that could free you up more to stay in your zone of genius (which you do now after reading this😉), doing the parts of your business you love, you may be ready for a Director of Operations on your team.
If you’re feeling yourself physically release your tense shoulders thinking of having someone else take care of “that part” of your business, head over to my Director of Operations services page or let’s chat so you can learn more! Click here to schedule your free clarity call or coffee chat!